Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Teaching, sad isn't it?

The following is a comment from a teacher who I invited to write on my blog. They didn't want to write much because they were afraid of retaliation. -cpg

Thank you for inviting me to speak out. I have been an obedient servant of our school system and yet I have nothing to show for it. I am being relentlessly bullied by administrators who tell me that it's their way or the highway. Yes, I could change jobs but it would betray my students for me to walk away. It would also betray my colleagues to walk way. In my opinion, it is my job to shut up and color for the sake of self-preservation. It does wound me every day when my principal judges my work based on a limited definition of what it means to serve our students. I believe that I do good work but it will never matter as long as I have a principal who believes that I am the enemy. I am ashamed to be a teacher because principals, assistant principals and their superiors have already decided that I am a bad person and they are working hard to fit their perception of me to fit their biased agendas. At the end of the day, they are covering their asses and throwing us under the bus. Sad, isn't it? 

-Any Teacher Duval County Public Schools.