I have been studying martial arts since high school. I took Tae Kwon Do for a while, then Shorin-Ryu Karate and then a mixed style (since 1993) based on Chuck Norris' system, Chun Kuk Do, which is a mixed style combining elements from Tang Soo Doo, Aikido, Jui-jitsu and other martial arts. It emphasizes self defense, along with competition, weapons, grappling and more. I've also studied with some of the master's of different arts, including Aikido and Jui-Jitsu, and have had to use martial arts in real situations and as self defense as a paramedic.
I try to use Martial Arts in a few ways in school. I use it as a way to demonstrate and apply physics concepts. Martial arts is a blend of anatomy and physiology with physics. I even break boards to show students the concepts of momentum and force.
I also try to share some of the ideals of martial arts. A true martial artist does not look for a fight, but rather tries to avoid it. We try to avoid or defuse situations instead of making them worse or attacking someone. I try to share this with my students.
One of the things that I also share with my students are the guiding points that Chuck Norris lives by. They are good advice to anyone and can help people live a better life.
Chuck Norris' Guiding Points
The following are the twelve points that guide Mr. Norris' life:
1. I will develop myself to the maximum of my potential in all ways.
2. I will forget the mistakes of the past and press on to greater achievements.
3. I will always be in a positive frame of mind and convey this feeling to every person that I meet.
4. I will continually work at developing love, happiness and loyalty in my family and acknowledge that no other success can compensate for failure in the home.
5. I will look for the good in all people and make them feel worthwhile.
6. If I have nothing good to say about a person, I will say nothing.
7. I will give so much time to the improvement of myself that I will have no time to criticize others.
8. I will always be as enthusiastic about the success of others as I am about my own.
9. I will maintain an attitude of open-mindedness toward another person's viewpoint while still holding fast to that which I know to be true and honest.
10. I will maintain respect for those in authority and demonstrate this respect at all times.
11. I will always remain loyal to God, my country, family and my friends.
12. I will remain highly goal-oriented throughout my life because that positive attitude helps my family, my country, and myself.
Feel free to share this with others and share your thoughts with us in the comments.